Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Monobath for black and white

On 4th of April and on 23rd of May, I wrote about the monobath I am using. Since the first attempt to the present, something changed. The first time I used sodium hydroxide to get a higher pH, the second time I came to the conclusion we don't need sodium hydroxide, I just added Parodinal in 1:100 proportion to a salt solution containing 300 g/L salt and developed at room temperature for 8 hours. The result was somehow better. But today I tried another Parodinal proportion (note, I am still using the same batch of Parodinal hence prepared), this time 1:250.

Why that? Examining the negatives of the last experiment, I came to the conclusion that they have too much silver for the positiv effect, although for transparency they are OK! So, if I use a weaker developer in order to underdevelop a little the film, this positive effect might be reinforced. Yes, I was right, if the film is slightly underdeveloped the positive effect is much better.

From these two photos, one was scanned reflexive and the other by transparency. Which of them is which?

Photo A

Photo B
Conclusion:

If it is difficult (but as I said, not impossible) to say which is which, what we may conclude? That they are both of 'almost' the same quality and we may use this process instead of the other for the following advantages:

1. One almost stand development where time is not a problem.
2. Very cheap chemicals, parodinal is very cheap and here it is used in just a 1:250 proportion. 2ml for 500ml developer.
3. You may use a normal scanner to digitize your photos.
4. You may put the negative in a frame, it looks like a daguerreotype. Of course if you are using medium or large format.

So, cheers! 

No comments: